Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Soup season

So I'm really picky when it comes to soup, though it's the season where I really start thinking about it. I don't really like chicken noodle soup, even homemade. I want a soup with flavor, but that's fairly easy to make. I like potato cheese soup, but I don't like to make it too often because it takes too much effort. I usually make it about once a year is all. What I really like are soups and stews that I can throw together quickly and taste great. An example of this is Marilyn's bean soup recipe (with a few alterations of my own preferences and Sandin's limitations). It takes few dishes and is really good both fresh and as leftovers. Well I bring this all up because I found a new soup that I love. I wanted to make a tomato soup of my own without too much effort. So I looked online and found a simple recipe which I of course altered. It ended up being so good that I thought I would share it with those who like soups in the fall too.

Tomato Spinach Soup

1/2 sweet onion
2 cloves garlic
2 cans diced tomatoes
6 cups chicken broth
1/2 bag of baby spinach roughly chopped
1 tsp. salt

Sautee onion and garlic in olive oil (or butter). Add tomatoes, broth, spinach and salt. Cook for ten minutes or until spinach is wilted and soup is hot. Serve with bread, rolls or cheese sandwich.


Try it I know you'll love it and it's soooo easy, and cheap.

1 comment: